Saturday 26 January 2013

Cat page + tutorial

When I signed up for the New Year’s Eve Streamathon, I knew I had to do a test stream to see if
A) my new webcam is working properly (i.e. I installed and set it up properly), 
B) I was capable of talking to myself in a foreign language while painting.

During my "test" stream, I found out three things:
1 – The webcam works.
2 – I can talk to myself (actually, I do that very often), even the foreign language wasn't a problem.
3 – After streaming for 3 (!!!) hours I was sure I wouldn't be able to finish a page in my assigned 1hr slot during the Streamathon.

This is the page I started painting online (and didn't finish in 3 hours):

[quote by Nan Porter]
...........................................................................................................

And here's a little tutorial: 

Supplies used:
  1. distress-inked deli paper (or tissue paper), stamped with Staz-on 
  2. outline paints (Glas-konturen Paste (Outlining Glass Paste) by C.KREUL, Relief Paste by Marabu)
  3. 3D varnish (Potch 3D Effect by C.KREUL, 3D Lack by Nerchau) - something to create a three-dimensional texture 
  4. metallic paints (Lumiere) 
  5. acrylic paints (Docrafts Artiste) 
  6. sponge (I use regular/cheap kitchen sponge) 

Note on supplies: 
  1. Most of the paints and art supplies we get here are from Germany. I'm sure there are similar products on your market. 
  2. 3D varnish: The two I use are intended for “découpage” (napkin technique). Both are opaque when wet, transparent when dry. So they can be used to create a “glaze” effect (similar to Glossy Accents) on a finished piece. 
  3. Outlines: Both of these are intended for glass art - to create an outline on glass or porcelain which you then colour in with paint. But because they are water based, I use them in my art. I tried Enamel Accents but the consistency is too thin for a detailed outline. Stickles might work too... 

Cat-page step-by-step:
  1. Sketch your image and outline it with something that will stay dimensional after drying. Gesso the page (if you must). 
  2. Glue the inked/stamped deli paper (or tissue paper) down with your preferred glue (I use one similar to Claudine Hellmuth Multi Medium). 
  3. Start sponging the paint (I use light colour first) around the glued paper to cover the white paper in the background. (note: The sponge should be dry. If it gets soaked with paint, replace it.) 
  4. Add some colour to your focal image – again begin with the lighter colour... 
  5. ... and add darker colour. 
  6. Gradually add darker colours, blending with the lighter ones. 
  7. Add even darker paint. 
  8. Then blend back with lighter colours. Sponge a bit of black or dark brown around the edge of the page – it will make it pop a little. 
  9. Outline the raised lines with white paint.

Later, I added the quote and a little bit of shading around the cats (with Faber-Castell PITT brush pens).

1 comment:

  1. OH this is cool! Love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing! *hugs* =0)If cats could talk in my house well I would be scared of what they would say roflmaoo

    ReplyDelete